Tuesday, November 15, 2011

11-15-11 Soggy

Sadly, I didn't realize that one of the windows in the trailer was open.  Since we last went camping months ago, it has had a ton of time to let the rain in.

I am very sad.

The bedding had to be all thrown out.  WAAAAAAHHHH.  I had the perfect sleeping set up.  I found this fabulous 5 inch thick memory foam on the side of the road and had put that on the mattress we had down in the basement from when JR's mom had come to visit (we did not put her in the basement, we were just keeping the extra mattress there!).  It was the softest, most wonderful nest ever.

And it is now in the back of the truck headed for the dump.  Covered in mold and soaked through.

Sigh.

It was a beautiful day here and I was fixing the spot on the front of the trailer where the metal had been twisted a bit from hitting the back of the truck that one time it fell off the hitch (before learning about locking it on!!).  And once that was done, I thought I would poodle around the inside and check it out, clean it up, get it ready for a winter sleep.  Luckily there was no moldy smell, and I was happily puttering away putting things away and reorganizing.  I had just poked my head out to talk to JR and tell him that I had finally made a decision about taking the truck and the trailer, that since I had the trailer and the truck and I loved the trailer, I was just going to take it and that was the end of that.  No buying or renting anything new.

As I was saying this and folding the extra set of sheets that Kate had used, I noticed that the mattress had a funny stain on it.  And bam!  I realized the entire bed was soaked.  I think the vent was not closed properly and the side window was completely open.  I checked the big back window, but that seemed just fine, all sealed and happy.

So now it is back to Craigslist to find new bedding.

Bummer...........but at least I made a decision about HOW to camp on the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment