Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thinking About Adventures

A friend has mentioned that they are going to go to Yellowstone next July.  I think I am going to go there as well.  I have always wanted to go to Yellowstone, Yosemite and the Grand Tetons.  So just a little bit of research has sparked some absolutely fantastic ideas.  And some questions and decisions to be made.

1. To camp or not to camp?  My trailer is a bit heavy to haul all that way.  But I could rent one from the MWR at McChord AFB, a little fiberglass jobbie, that would only run me about $200 for a week.  Camping at Mammoth Falls in Yellowstone is only $14 a night.  Or should I try to rent a cabin?  They are going to be over $200 a night.  This question is predicated on the answer to the next question......

2. Dog or no dog?  This is also a big question.  It is the perfect doggie adventure.  We would have a blast together.  And he would make me feel safer going out by myself......  But he is only allowed on a leash in the national Parks, and only 100 feet from the road.  This may not be a problem as I am terrified of bears and don't want to go into the back country by myself.....but there might also be stuff I want to do that he would have to be left alone for, thus the cabin v. trailer idea......I guess I could also just tent camp.  Sigh.  This is getting more and more muddled.

3.  Great idea!  Follow the footsteps of Ansel Adams.  Must also read up on John Muir and Ralph Waldo Emerson.

4. This will definitely be a photo journey.  Need to get better at understanding my beloved DSLR, and get used to using a tripod.  But using a tripod with a dog attached to my other hand......see we are back to question 2 above.  Hmm.  Must find out about tying the dog to my waist.  And also need a remote shutter thingie.....

more later..........big bang theory is about to start...........love that show!

No comments:

Post a Comment