Sunday, November 7, 2010

11-7-10 Double Happiness

I'm back.  We had to check out of the most wonderful hotel room on the planet.  After our night in College Station, we hopped back in the car and drove back to San Antonio, but not to Mom's house.  We spent a most luxurious night at the JW Marriott Hill Country San Antonio.  Yum.

The king sized bed was huge, and covered in a profusion of big white fluffy pillows.  I don't think there is anything more decadent than waking up in a nest of high quality linens and pillows.  Sigh.  I even got an extra hour with the time change to spend in our room.

We checked in around 6 pm last night and I had to take a conference call for the Winter Party that JR's unit is putting on next month.  After that we went exploring around the hotel.  I was hungry for dinner, but JR was not that hungry.  On the way here we had stopped in Snook, Texas at the Sodolak Diner.

You may have heard of it on the Food Network, they are famous for ....... deep fried bacon.  Yup.  That's right, you read that correctly.  Deep Fried Bacon.  Served with thick cream gravy.

Surprisingly, it was not greasy, but light and crispy.  The gravy was too much, luckily that was on the side so you didn't have to wade through that.  The owner came over to see how we were doing and told us the secret of the batter, there are no eggs in it, it is just a milk dredge and then into the flour.  They put yellow food dye into the batter so that it comes out golden.  JR also had their chicken fried steak, covered in thick cream gravy.  And onion rings.  I had a BLT, mostly because it came with a semblance of vegetables.  Well, their idea of vegetables was one slice of thinly cut tomato and one leaf of iceberg lettuce.  I think they couldn't believe someone would want something other than fried meat.

Anyway, as I had only had half of my sandwich, I was actually hungry for dinner.  We went downstairs to the Cibollo Moon restaurant and I had my favorite Texas treat.  Barbequed Brisket.  This wasn't quite up to Rudy's standard, but it was pretty good, and the bread was terrific, tiny little bite sized biscuits served with a very flavorful strawberry jam.  The biscuits had lovely large sugar crystals baked on top.  Scrumptious.

We left the restaurant and headed for the shops, were we saw lots of very nice stuff for sale.  A most beautiful pair of boots.  I do love cowgirl boots.  These were a faded red with a lace effect cut of natural buff leather application.  They were way over my budget (of $25).  So instead this morning I came back and purchased the hair band with a beautiful enameled yellow flower and rhinestones.

We then headed downstairs, where we found the A&M game was being broadcast in the main great room downstairs that is also an open bar area.  All of a sudden some beautiful music started playing.  I went exploring and found a terrific musician was playing to the open crowd.  Jeff Wood.  He played the guitar and sang the most wonderful songs.  A wide variety of music, all interpreted with a wonderful Texas twang.  He also played a lot of his own songs.  You can find him on the web at musicjeffwood.net.  We purchased one of his albums, which I am listening to as I write this from the upper lobby of the hotel.

JR wanted to stay here because guests can play at the golf course, a TPC course that he was very interested in playing.  And I am about to go in and have a wonderful experience of my own.  There is a full service spa, the Lantana Spa.

I am going to have the double happiness: "The ultimate luxury experience with invigorating peppermint and rejuvenating ingredients.  This treatment begins with a "facial" for the hands and feet, including a revitalizing massage and a gentle skin resurfacing that leaves your skin feeling silky smooth and renewed.  Finished with expert nail grooming and  polish application."

Doesn't that sound fabulous?  I think it is going to be great!  And it is JR's treat.  Isn't he great?  I love him.  So much.  He spoils me with his love.  Sigh.  Totally in love with him.

It might have taken me a long time to find him, but it was totally worth the wait.  I cannot imagine a better person to spend the rest of my life with.  Double Triple Happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment