Sunday, November 7, 2010

Traveling with CML

Traveling has been interesting.  The flight to Texas was ok.  We had arranged wheelchairs for me at the airport which was very good.  I had purchased a blowup pillow and blanket to use, Jennifer D had proposed this idea, that I not use the airline's things as they are not cleaned between flights.  I wore a surgical mask on each plane (one connection in Minneapolis) and lysol wiped the seats and tray tables.

We arrived in San Antonio just fine.  The oddest part was that while we were in the air, the pillow was fully blown up, but when we landed it was halfway deflated.  Made me wonder what the altitude was doing to my lungs which have to work overtime all the time.  Half of the time I am gasping for air.

So we spent a couple of lovely days with family catching up and playing cards and dice.  Then JR and I packed up and drove to A&M for his meetings.  That morning I had woken up feeling odd, for the past two days I had been having the bone pain again and having called my doctor, found out that they could not call in a prescription for pain meds across state lines, it had to be in writing.  But Dorothy (my mother in law) had some vicodin (which is what they were going to prescribe) so I took hers.  That totally helped with the pain, but I slept so deeply that I hurt my throat snoring.  I got up, got dressed and took the dog for a short walk.  I didn't have the energy to go as far as I had the day before.  And then I started to feel really ill.

I was extremely nauseous and kept running to the bathroom expecting to be sick.  But wasn't.  I thought this was left over from the Vicodin.  We packed up and got in the car.  Oh dear, driving while nauseous is terrible.  We had to stop a couple of time where I did get sick.  We finally got to A&M and checked into the hotel after a 4  hour car ride.  Ugh.  But while walking down the hall to the room, I realized the hallway was tilting.

Ah HA!  I was having a vertigo attack.  So I got to the room, hung my head off the side and slowly turned it the way my neurologist taught me.  Poof!  Nauseau gone.  There is too much that my body does wrong!  I can't keep up!  Sigh.  JR had left for his meeting, expecting me to be lying down sick the couple of hours he would be gone.  But I felt better and better as the time wore on.

My poor step-mother, Dagmar, called when I was feeling pretty bad.  Usually I try to keep a happy face on for everyone.  But there was no happy face to be found.  So she got the full brunt of my ickiness.  And she was fabulous, very kind and understanding.  Made me feel better.  After her call, I was able to get up and get dressed for the reception that we were going to.  And had a very nice time at the reception with JR.

It was held at the Alumni Center and was beautiful.  After that, we went to Rudy's BBQ (MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!!!)  and I was able to eat some brisket.  YUMMMMMMMM.

Ok, have just been told to hurry along, we are staying at the most wonderful hotel on the planet and it is almost check out time, but will tell more about that later..........

No comments:

Post a Comment