Sunday, December 19, 2010

12-19-10 Fabulous Cookie Swap

Yesterday was the second annual cookie swap here at Casa Edmiston.  What a grand time was had!!!!  About 12 people showed up all bearing tons of cookies, so much so that we had to get a second table out of the garage to hold them all.  I had originally set up a 6 foot table, but half way through it was completely full!!!

I had spent quite a bit of time and energy to clean the house, which, I have to say, looks amazing when all the clutter is gone.  Sigh.  And I baked 6 different types of cookies to make sure that there was enough.  Which was a good thing since the first guest was a bit odd.  She asked to come a half an hour early, I thought to drop off her  cookies and then return later to pick up an assortment.  No, she wanted to take her assortment right away, she had another party to go to, and she needed to bring cookies to that one.  WHAT?  You want to take half of the cookies that I had baked before any of my other guests get there?  She is one weirdo.  I was so stunned, I let her.

But like I said, there were do many fantastic cookies brought by all, that it was ok in the end.

Everyone stayed for a very long time, for which I am truly grateful, I understand that this was the weekend before christmas and there was lots to do for everyone.  So it was doubly cool that they took the time.

I find the hardest part of hostessing is trying to sit and talk with everyone.  The house is really set up into two conversation areas, and I was bouncing back and forth between them, trying to make sure that everyone got some attention.  I even had guests from as far away as North Seattle and Snoqualmie and Olympia.  Very touched that everyone made it.

I was terribly clever and made a bunch of food that was pre-done, nothing had to be tended to once the guests got here.  Some deli meat and cheese, crackers, rolls, deviled eggs, Boy Dip (a mexican style dip that men just LOVE--it makes them grunt in happiness---truly, it is so funny to watch them, I have even seen one man hover over the crockpot that is filled with the meaty dip and glare at anyone who comes to take some, all without realizing he was doing that.  *giggles*), potato chips and dip, and all the coffee, tea and cocoa one could drink.

I think our coffee maker (a Keurig) made a few more converts at the ease and fantasticness of the coffee it makes.

I am paying for all the work and energy today, but it was totally worth it!  By last night, there was a lot of angry skin problems, couldn't sleep, my feet were burning up, and I was just exhausted.  Today there are other problems, but again, totally worth it!!!

I will NOT let Leukemia stop me.  I had an interesting thought the other day while listening to a Country song.  Dying is easy.  Living is hard work.

Kind of a downer ending to a happy post.  But real.

No comments:

Post a Comment