Sunday, October 17, 2010

10-17-2010 Good News/Bad News

The good news: at this week's Dr. appointment, my white blood cell count went from a 33 down to 24, after only one week on the Sprycel.  This is an amazing result as far as I am concerned.  I did not expect the drug to work so quickly.  I only have some side effects, not as bad as if I were on Gleevec.  There are some small ulcers on my tongue, small patches of dry skin flaking off, extreme fatigue and bone pain.  It would be worse if I were on different drugs.

The bone pain is pretty bad, it has been excruciating and Dr. O explained that it was because the bone marrow was filled with too many cells and that the drugs were causing the bad cells to die off.  Once the bone marrow was cleaned out, the pain would subside.  But until then, it is a pain from the inside out, there are no good positions, and sitting and lying down make it worse.  But the fatigue forces you to lay down.  

So Dr. Xie (turns out his name is not Dim--I got confused because his first name is Bin, and I just misheard him) prescribed Percocet for the pain.  Unfortunately, I have now developed a sensitivity to the Percocet.  And yesterday was spent writhing on the couch in pain and watching the clock waiting for the Percocet to leave my system.  It made me so nauseous, I cannot describe how bad it was.  So no more Percocet for me.

Poor Jennifer D called in the middle of the bad.  It turns out that I scared her pretty badly, I was slurring my words and couldn't make sentences.  But luckily, I have the best neighbors on the planet, and Rose next door came over and held my hand, went to the store and got me some juice and checked up on me during the day.

I finally took some Advil PM last night in a last ditch effort to get some sleep, and was able to sleep and woke up with no pain!!!  It is slowly coming back this morning, so I am going to pop some tylenol in a minute.  But to be pain free for a minute is amazing.
This journey is interesting.  I am so glad that there is a drug to take, and so unhappy that I have to take a drug.  I just need to remember to keep fighting and laughing and loving.  So I shall!

No comments:

Post a Comment