Thursday, October 21, 2010

10-21-10 THAT was a long day

So last night I had a voicemail from SCCA asking if it was ok to cancel my appointment today.  I called back and left a message that that would be ok with me.  I knew that I had another appointment set up for next Thursday, so I thought one week wouldn't matter too much.

Woke up today and was soooo tired.  It was almost 10 am before I had enough energy to take the dog for his walkie.  JR had been called to work the day before and he wasn't due back until tonight.  We walked very slowly up to the main street and then walked up and down that street, which is my fall back route, when I want to be able to call for help if I need it--when I am not sure how much energy I have or will be able to call upon.  But the walkie was fine, and Chase seemed to understand that we were going to go slow, and to not pull me.

When we got back to the house, there was another message from SCCA thanking me for being flexible, but Dr. Vivian still wanted me to have my labs done today, I should call them and figure out if I would go all the way to Seattle or use a local lab.  I called Laura (my assigned nurse) back to make the lab arrangements, but she was concerned about my breathiness.  I told her it was hard to catch my breath, and had been for a couple of days, but other than that, the pain was gone so I was doing well.

Apparently, being short of breath is very bad.  I was told to keep my original appointment.  But that meant, jumping in the car immediately, dog walking clothes and all.......this defeats my strategy to only show up wearing business attire, I have historically gotten much better care when dressed up.  Oh, well.

I get there.  And then spend the next 7 hours there going for various tests.  The splendid news was that my blood count was down again!  It is only a 14 this week.  I am stunned at how fast the Sprycel is working.  But they were very concerned about my blood oxygen levels, so I was off for a chest X-ray, then an EKG, both of which were fine, but then they sent me for a chest CT scan to make sure.  That took the longest.

The tech tried to get the line in my vein, but failed twice.   I am going to bruise up with those big time.  She just dug and dug.  I finally asked her to get someone else.   The RN got it on the first try with little pain.  sigh.   so much better.

I will know more tomorrow about the scan, but they were thinking that it would be mostly a side effect of the fatigue and not fluid building around the heart.  But they wanted to be sure.

JR got done with work, and since he had been working out of Seattle by chance, he came by the center and sat with me while they set up the scan, then we both drove home in separate cars.  He is so wonderful.  Poor man had been at work since 4 am, but sat and waited with me for hours after working for 13 hours.

I love him.

Again, good news that the White Blood Count is plummeting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment